Ah, Florida. Feels a bit like a dream now even though it was less than a month ago that we were there.
Miami was our first stop on our trip and I wanted to plan our stay perfectly, so that we didn’t need to stress too much. In the past, we’ve always picked up a rental car immediately after landing and have stayed in Miami Beach or at an airport hotel. This time around I wanted to give us a couple days to settle and not have to think about driving. So I decided to book a hotel on South Beach for the first three nights because you can get everywhere easily on foot or with an Uber. After researching for ages I finally settled on the Washington Park Hotel in South Beach.
Curious to know my thoughts on the hotel and if it’s worth staying at? Keep reading below 🙂
what i liked about Washington Park Hotel:
– I’ll start with the most important factor for me when booking- the location. This was my number one priority, to be walking distance from the beach, shops and restaurants. WPH ticked all three boxes. It’s literally only two blocks (5 minute walk) from the beach and about a 15 minute walk to Lincoln Rd where the main shopping street is. The only reason we used Ubers a few times was to get further up Miami Beach and to Wynwood. If you’re planning on only staying in South Beach and don’t want to take cabs, this hotel is perfect.
– The hotel itself consists of several art deco buildings with rooms in each so even though the hotel is big, because it’s spread out it doesn’t feel very crowded. The hotel opened in 2017 (I think) so everything feels very modern and fresh but still with the old Art Deco feel, which I absolutely love.
– The room we had was super spacious, even though I think it was a mistake that we got that room. I booked a room with a king bed but we got a room with two doubles so the actual size of the room was massive. We also had a corner room so we had windows facing on two sides. I’m pretty sure that not all rooms are that big so maybe we got lucky.
I loved the brightness and colours of the rooms, everything felt really fresh and clean. The colours worked well together- lots of white, wood and a few muted colours thrown in the mix.
– The bathroom was very clean and bright and the shower was was spacious with two shower heads (love the option to choose). The hotel provided travel sized shampoos etc, but I never use these so I can’t comment on them. I also liked that they had bathrobes available! Always a plus.
– All the stuff the room comes with worked well. Most importantly, the AC. I hate it when they secretly turn off after a while or take ages to actually start working. No fuss with this one. There was also a large TV that had tons of channels, a coffee machine, small fridge, phone and safe. So all the standard things you’d expect in a hotel room.
– The staff were very friendly, helpful and offered us a welcome drink when we arrived.
– One of the things I had been looking forward to the most was renting bikes from the hotel (this is included in the room price). This was such a fun plus and to be honest, kind of made our stay. There were about 20 bikes to rent so we just picked two out one morning and had an awesome bike ride along the boardwalk. You can borrow these bikes for up to 4 hours which is more than enough time to explore the area!
– Even though we didn’t have the time to make most of the facilities, the hotel has a nice pool out front and a bar/restaurant downstairs in the main building lobby. There’s also an outdoor bar that serves happy hour drinks. They also provide towels and chairs that you can take with you to the beach or pool.
what i didn’t like:
– I’ll be honest, there weren’t a lot of things I didn’t like but it’s probably because I knew where we were going. For example, I knew that South Beach was pricey. And yes, WPH is more expensive than what we usually pay, but it’s because of the location.
The one thing I didn’t like, however, was an added fee (they called this a resort fee) when we checked in that wasn’t communicated beforehand. I looked through my confirmations later and didn’t see anything about this. It was about $30 per room, per night + tax, which isn’t the end of the world but it was still a bit of an annoyance that I wish I had been notified of before.
– The one thing that I kept reading about on TripAdvisor were the noise levels at the hotel. This was something I was prepared for. We got lucky because our room was on the top floor but it was still pretty noisy. You can hear everything– as in conversations in the next room, doors closing, people walking in the hallway etc. We were pretty jetlagged so slept through a lot of this but just keep this mind. I think this is probably an issue that a lot of hotels in older buildings have, so I would limit this to only WPH.
would i go back?
Yes, I definitely would. Without hesitation. However, I would try and ask for a top floor room, if possible. Other than that, I have no complaints and would recommend the Washington Park Hotel to anyone who is looking for a good hotel in South Beach.
Read other hotel reviews here.