When you’re in the need of a small getaway.
Back in April, my friend Isla and I took a mini long-weekend trip to Mallorca (for £36 with Ryanair, might I add!). We decided to stay in a hotel this time instead of an Airbnb, mainly because it had a pool. Hotel prices in April were completely reasonable- I think we paid around €100 per night which included breakfast. Want to know how we liked it?
what i liked about HM Balanguera:
– I’ll start with something very random, but something that stood out to me immediately. The scent in the hotel. The moment we stepped foot in the hotel I was met with the most delicious, musky perfumed scent. I asked the woman at the reception what it was and she told me that it was a BVLGARI room scent that they diffuse around the main spaces in the hotel (and at all their HM branded hotels). I’ve Googled and searched high and low for it but I can’t find it. I think it must be exclusive to hotels or something. I’ve even gone sniffed through several duty free shops at airports to see if any of the BVLGARI perfumes are similar, but I haven’t found any 🙁
– The pool area was one of the main reasons we booked this hotel and it didn’t disappoint. While it was small, it had everything we needed- a pool, couple sun loungers, tables to put drinks onto, a shower and a shaded area with seats. And best of all, the view of Palma’s rooftops.
– The design of the hotel was what caught my eye when I first saw it on hotels.com. Everything is white, light and has a nice beachy feel to it. All the colours complement each other and everything felt very “earthy”. Love.
– I’m not a huge breakfast/morning person but the breakfast was perfect- not too much choice so that you get overwhelmed and end up eating too much but enough to cover all the bases. Fresh bread and fruit, yoghurts, sandwich material, cereals, juices and of course coffee. The breakfast was held in the lobby which was a great place to have it since that space was usually quite empty during the day. Plus, there was a massive perfume diffuser in the lobby haha.
– We asked for tips from the staff several times during our stay and they were always very friendly and helpful.
– The hotel itself was in a great location– only about a 10 minute walk down to the water but far enough that you didn’t feel like you were right in the middle of a tourist hotspot.
what i didn’t like:
– The bathroom in our room was incredibly small and uncomfortable. I’m not sure if this is the case in every room but it felt like it was just kind of put in there as an afterthought. The door didn’t close properly either which was annoying and it didn’t have great ventilation. After a shower it stayed steamy for aaaaages. The walls of the “bathroom” were also very thin. Luckily Isla and I know each very well (we lived together for four years) so it wasn’t a big deal to us but I can imagine it could get weird if you’re traveling with someone who you don’t know well and want some more privacy.
– Since the hotel is located next to a main road, some of the rooms could get loud. Our room was facing an inner courtyard so we didn’t have this issue but I would suggest asking for an inner facing room if possible.
– I’m pretty sure there was no AC in the room. We didn’t need to use it anyway in April but if we had been there in July I’m sure it would be a necessity. Something to keep in mind!
– Even though the pool was great when we stayed, it will get busy during summer months since it’s pretty small!
– The ceiling in room was kinda nasty- almost looked like it had some kind of water damage (you can see it in the photos). I did peek into other rooms in the hotel and the ceilings didn’t look like ours. So maybe we just got unlucky.
– I even looked at the fire exit map on our door and our room was much smaller than the other rooms! I think it was because we had a corner room but next time I’d ask to stay in a bigger one. That being said, it’s not like we felt we had too little space, it was just something I noticed.
would i go back?
Even though I felt like there were quite a few things I didn’t like, the positives outweighed the negatives. I would most definitely stay in HM Balanguera again in the low season. I don’t think I would if it was summer though, only because I’m so picky when it comes to things like aircon and pools.
Read other hotel reviews here.